Markets / AED’s in the Community
Early Defibrillation Saves Lives
Placing Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) in the hands of citizen responders who can defibrillate an SCA victim within 3 to 4 minutes of collapse, while EMS is in route, greatly increases the victim’s chance of survival. There are growing numbers of successful community early defibrillation programs using Philips HeartStart AEDs including programs in Austin TX, Sunnyvale CA, Whitewater WI, Polk County FL and many many more. All have instituted community early defibrillation programs that provide an estimated call-to-delivery of the first shock in 4-7 minutes. These communities have saved hundreds of lives. CF Medical has assisted in many communities making sure they have the proper medical devices and emergency programs in place to be ready to respond.
In addition, several public areas where people gather (for example, airports and casinos) have already seen survival rates as high as 75% by having AEDs readily available for use by non-EMS personnel.
According to the American Heart Association, if bystander CPR was initiated more consistently, if AEDs were more widely available, and if every community could achieve a 20% cardiac arrest survival rate, an estimated 40,000 lives could be saved each year.
The quick response to deliver a shock may make the difference. An early defibrillation program in your community may save the life of someone you know and love.
Higher incidents of Sudden Cardiac Arrest occur at certain cites:
- Community and Senior Citizen Centers
- Dialysis Centers
- Ferries and Train Terminals
- Golf Courses
- Health Centers and Gyms
- Large Industrial Sites
- Large Shopping Malls
- Nursing Homes
- Private Businesses
- Sports and Event Complexes
Consider implementing on-site AED programs in locations such as these in your community.
Here are more benefits of having AEDs in your community:
- Increased Survival Rates: AEDs are designed to be easy to use, even by non-medical personnel. When used promptly along with cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), they significantly increase the chances of survival for someone experiencing sudden cardiac arrest.
- Immediate Response: AEDs can be used before professional medical help arrives. In emergencies, every minute counts. Having an AED nearby means that life-saving measures can be initiated immediately, potentially preventing brain damage or death.
- User-Friendly Operation: AEDs are designed to provide clear, step-by-step instructions to the user. They often include visual and audio prompts, making it easier for anyone to use, even if they have little or no medical training.
- Critical for Public Spaces: Places where large numbers of people gather, such as airports, shopping malls, sports facilities, and community centers, are common locations for AED placement. These devices are crucial in areas where there might be a higher risk of cardiac emergencies due to the presence of many people.
- Enhances Community Safety: Having AEDs in public spaces creates a safer environment for community members. Knowing that AEDs are available can provide peace of mind and a sense of security.
- Reduces Response Time: In the event of sudden cardiac arrest, the time it takes for medical help to arrive is critical. AEDs reduce the response time, as they can be used by bystanders or trained personnel immediately, often before professional medical help arrives.
- Cost-Effective: While the initial cost of purchasing and installing AEDs can vary, the investment is often considered cost-effective when compared to the potential lives saved and the long-term costs associated with cardiac care for survivors.
- Promotes CPR and First Aid Training: The presence of AEDs in the community can also encourage more people to undergo CPR and first aid training. This knowledge, combined with the availability of AEDs, can significantly improve response and outcomes during cardiac emergencies.
In summary, having AEDs in your community can mean the difference between life and death in cases of sudden cardiac arrest. These devices are simple to use, highly effective, and contribute significantly to the overall safety and well-being of community members.